- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 12 cups vegetable oil
- 14 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 14 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 cups peeled & finely chopped apples
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- **12 cup buttermilk
- 12 tsp. baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Generously grease a tube pan.
- For the cake: in a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, oil, orange juice, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & vanilla extract; & mix well. Fold apples, coconut, & pecans into batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan & bake until a tester comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Shortly before the cake is done, make the sauce: Melt the butter in a large saucepan, stir in the sugar, buttermilk, & baking soda, & bring to a good rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Pour the sauce over the hot cake in the pan as soon as you remove it from the oven. Let stand 1 hour, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
- **Substitute for Buttermilk: 1 cup milk, 2 tsp. vinegar, Let sit 5-10 minutes
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More