- Cooking Time: 45
- Preparation Time:
- 6 ounces (180g) dried cherries (no sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) Calvados, apple brandy, or unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tart apples, about 1 pound (450g)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) ground cardamom
- 1 basic pie pastry
- 2 tablespoons (12g) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine dried cherries with Calvados: set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and core the apples; slice thinly lengthwise. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and cardamom. Combine macerated cherries and apples.
- Roll out dough into a large, ragged circle about 14 inches (35cm) in diameter. Fit dough into an 8-inch (20cm) round ovenproof dish at least 2 inches (5cm) deep, allowing the excess pastry to drape over the edge.
- Place the apples and cherries in the prepared dish, mounding slightly in the middle. Bring pastry up and over apples and cherries. (It will not quite cover fruit.) Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crust is brown and filling is bubbling.
NotesThis homey dessert rises to company status with the addition of dried cherries macerated in Calvados. Choose a tart apple with good baking quality such as Granny Smith, Gravenstein, or Jonathan.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
The Italian ExchangeSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More