APPLE CHERRY COBBLER (DIABETIC)
Apple Cherry Cobbler (Diabetic)
- Cooking Time: 45
- 6 ounces (180g) dried cherries (no sugar added)
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) Calvados, apple brandy, or unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tart apples, about 1 pound (450g)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) ground cardamom
- 1 basic pie pastry
- 2 tablespoons (12g) sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Combine dried cherries with Calvados: set aside for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel and core the apples; slice thinly lengthwise. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice and cardamom. Combine macerated cherries and apples.
Roll out dough into a large, ragged circle about 14 inches (35cm) in diameter. Fit dough into an 8-inch (20cm) round ovenproof dish at least 2 inches (5cm) deep, allowing the excess pastry to drape over the edge.
Place the apples and cherries in the prepared dish, mounding slightly in the middle. Bring pastry up and over apples and cherries. (It will not quite cover fruit.) Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crust is brown and filling is bubbling.