APPLE CIDER CAKE
- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 40
- For the crust:
- 125 g butter
- 125 g white sugar
- 1 egg
- 250 g flour
- 1 pack vanilla sugar (Dr. Oetker Bourbon Vanilla Sugar is great)
- 20g baking powder
- For the filling:
- 850 g apples
- 80g vanilla pudding powder (the “cook & serve” pudding)
- 750 ml apple cider
- 250 g white sugar
- 1 pack vanilla sugar
- 400 ml heavy cream
- ground cinnamon for dusting the cake
- Mix ingredients for the crust and press the dough in a spring form. Let the crust come up on the sides. Peel, core and cut apples. Spread them on top of the crust.
- Cook pudding powder, cider, sugar and vanilla sugar according to the directions for the pudding mix. Pour the hot pudding mix over the apples in the spring form.
- Bake for 90 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let cake cool completely, before taking it out of the spring form. Whip heavy cream and spread it on top of the cake. Dust cake with ground cinnamon.
- Key is to let the cake cool completely before topping it with whipped cream. Keep it refrigerated, so the cake does not fall apart. The vanilla pudding and cream can melt away quickly.
NotesThis is an old recipe which my mother used to make when I was a child. I always loved it. We recently discovered the recipe in my mom's recipe collection and I asked her to bake it once again.