- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 Medium Granny Smith or Pippin Apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 2-1/2 Cups All-Purpose Unbleached White Flour
- 1-1/2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 3/4 Cup (1-1/2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 2 Cups Walnuts chopped and toasted (use 1/2 Walnuts and 1/2 Almonds!)
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1-1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg Large
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Chopped Walnuts, Toasted in a dry skillet
- 1/3 cup packed Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Butter, Unsalted (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose Unbleached White Flour
- Brown Sugar Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 TBL. All-Purpose Unbleached White Flour
- 2/3 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 TBL. Brandy
- 1/4 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a 9" Springform Pan, that has a Parchment circle cut to fit the bottom. Spray the entire inside of pan with Pam Vegetable Spray with Flour (Baker's spray)
- Put the Flour and Brown Sugar in a bowl and blend with a pastry blender (or fork) until completely mixed. Add in the Butter and mix with the pastry blender (or fork) until it is "crumbly."
- Take about half of the mixture and put it in the bottom of your springform pan. Press hard, evenly, all around (this is the bottom crust).
- Mix the Walnuts, Baking Soda, Cinnamon and Salt into the remaining mixture.
- In a separate bowl add the Egg and lightly beat it with a whisk. Add the Sour Cream and Vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Make an indentation (well) in the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture.
- Stir until just combined. Fold in the Apples.
- Pour cake mixture into your pan over the crust and spread evenly with your spatula.
- Make the Topping and spread evenly over the batter (Recipe follows).
- Total baking time is 1 hour. Bake for 1/2 hour at 375. Cover cake lightly with foil and bake another 1/2 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Serve with Brown Sugar Sauce, if desired (recipe follows):
- Combine nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Cut the 1/4 cup butter into the 1/3-cup of flour with a pastry blender or fork to make coarse crumbs. Stir into that the nut mixture.
- Sprinkle over the top of the Apple Coffee Cake batter in the pan and press slightly.
- After the cake is done, you may want to uncover and just barely broil the top to get it nice and crunchy.
- Brown Sugar Sauce:
- Melt the Butter in a saucepan set over medium heat. In a medium-sized bowl, stir the Flour and Cinnamon with the Sugar. Whisk this mixture into the melted Butter until moistened.
- Stir in the Cream and whisk until smooth. Cook over low heat (slightly bubbling), whisking frequently until thickened and smooth - 5 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and stir in the Brandy and Vanilla.
- Serve over the Apple Coffee Cake while warm, or it can be refrigerated for about 1 week. Reheat just before serving. Reheat is SLOWLY, tho, or it will break.
NotesYou've got to make this! Whatever day you plan to serve this apple cake; be sure to bake it the day or night before. It is really better the next day! Serve the coffee cake with the warm Brown Sugar Sauce. This recipe is from Newfoundland!
It's all about that protein
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Broccoli/Bacon/Onion Salad LOW CARB
High-Protein Honey Wheat Bread
Sticky Pecan & Prune Pre-Workout BarsSee More