- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese look like a nice little muffin for Thanksgiving.
Inspired by chef, restaurateur, and TV personality Bobby Flay. Try smearing these with apricot jam when they're warm from the oven it's a nice match
- 1 1/4 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup peeled, diced Granny Smith apples*
- Cooking spray
- Special equipment:
- Mini-muffin pan
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (they should be frozen solid, not thawed) can be substituted for the apples
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, and vinegar in another.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet ingredients; stir just until combined.
- Stir in apples, just until incorporated.
- Spray mini-muffin tin with cooking spray, and divide batter evenly; bake 7 to 8 minutes, until a test comes out clean.
- Remove from tin, using a small offset spatula if necessary; cool on a rack. Serve.