- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 - 17.5 oz package of frozen puff pastry sheets
- 4 1/2 cups apples (about 4, I used Gala and Fuji), peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamon (if you don't have cardamon, don't stress...you can leave it out.)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 TB water
- Preheat your oven to 400' F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets according to the instructions on the box.
- Meanwhile, prepare your apples. In a mixing bowl, combine the apples, craisins and drizzle the lemon juice over them. Toss to thoroughly coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/3 cup sugar, flour, spices and salt. Add to the apple mixture and toss to coat.
- When your pastry is ready, on a lightly floured surface, roll one of the pastry sheets into a 12" x 12" square (you can put the other sheet in the fridge for now). Cut vertically and horizontally to create 4 equal squares (6"x6")
- Now to prep the assembly line. In a small bowl or cup, beat the egg and water to make your egg wash. Have a slotted spoon, fork and sharp knife handy as well as a small bowl of sugar for sprinkling.
- With a pastry brush, dampen the edges of a square with the egg wash.
- With a slotted spoon, scoop about 1/4 cup of filling onto the center of the square.
- Pull one corner over the filling to the opposite corner to create a triangle.
- Press the edges together to seal. Using the fork, press along the edges to make it pretty (and to make a better seal).
- Make 2 slits in the top with your knife to ventilate
- Transfer to your prepared cookie sheet and repeat with the remaining 3 squares.
- When all four squares are ready and on the cookie sheet, brush the tops with some egg wash. Sprinkle with some sugar
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- While those are baking, prepare the second pastry sheet into 4 more apple turnovers.
- Allow the turnovers to cool for 5 minutes and enjoy while warm
NotesThis recipe came from a silly little murder mystery book but it sounded good....and tastes great!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More