- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- pinch salt
- In large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and milk, making 3 additions of flour and 2 of milk, beating until smooth. Stir in apples.
- Streusel Directions:In a bowl, whisk together brown sugar and cinnamon. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture holds together in small, moist clumps.
- Scoop about 1/2 of the batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle streusel over batter. Scoop remaining batter over streusel.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
- Caramel Frosting
- 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In heavy saucepan, combine cream, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt. Heat over medium high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted.
- Reducd heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir until smooth and pour into a bowl. Let cool in bowl, stirring occasionally. Caramel will thicken further as it sits and cools.
- Stir cooled caramel well and spread or spoon over cooled cupcakes.
NotesLast week I made these great little cupcakes. We really enjoyed them, they were moist. The apples added a great texture and the streusel in the centre was a great combination. They tasted good without icing. Dan made a caramel butter cream for them. It was ok with his icing. I will be including the icing they suggested to put on the cupcakes instead. In looking at the photos I took I realized I did not take a final pic....sigh...so I will make them again this week and add it.... :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Breads and Pastry 101See More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More