- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 7 to 8 (3 pounds) large, tart green apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBSP light brown sugar
- 2 TBSP ( 1 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 TBSP apple juice
- 1/2 cup unbleached all purpouse flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes and frozen
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- In a bowl toss together the apples and sugars. Set aside to allow the apples to start releasing some of their juice.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- TOPPING: Using a food processor fitted with the steel blade, or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon and pulse or mix on low to incorporate.
- Ad the butter and pulse on and off or mix on low until it's the consistency of a coarse meal. Pour into a bowl and use your hands to toss in the oats.
- FILLING: In a saucepan melt the butter. Swirling to keep it from burning. When it is nutty brown pour it over the apples.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with the apple juice (or water) so that there are no lumps. Pour over the apples and toss to combine.
- Crumble the topping over the apples, squeezing bits together to create lumps.
- Put the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Turn the oven down to 375 degrees and bake for another 50 to 55 minutes, until the top in nicely brown.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Gluten-Free and Delicious
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More