- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 200g soft butter
- 110g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225g sifted self-raising flour
- 2 small, unpeeled green apples; cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp extra castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp each of ground coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, cloves and cardamom
- Preheat Oven to 180C.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well
- Fold in flour
- Spread half the mixture into a greased, base-lined 22cm cake tin.
- Cover with generously with custard, using a spatula to smooth out. Keep in mind the cake will rise slightly while cooking when adding custard.
- Carefully cover custard with spoonfuls of remaining cake mix (this is the tricky part but never fear! if this part goes wrong and the custard incorporates itself with the batter the cake will still be creamy and delicious).
- Arrange apple slices over the top, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and spices.
- Bake 70-80 mins, using the clean-skewer test to check it is ready. Allow to rest before carefully turning out.
NotesI found this recipe last Easter and it was such a hit that I'm often asked to make it at any time of year!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
The Social CookbookSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More