- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 C water
- 1/4 C butter
- 2 1/4 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 C shortening
- 1/2 C milk
- 6 small apples, peeled & cored or cut into large wedges (I prefer MacIntosh)
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- For syrup:
- In a saucepan, combine 1.5 C sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add water and stir.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add butter and stir in until melted.
- Set aside
- For dough:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening until coarse loose crumbs.
- Add milk all at once; stir just till all is moistened.
- Form into a ball.
- On a floured surface roll out into an 18x12 in rectangle
- Cut into 6 six inch squares.
- For Filling:
- Peel & core apples. If you don't have an apple corer (is that even a word??) Cut them in half or quarters and remove seedy part.
- Place an apple in the center of each square.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Sprinkle apples generously with sugar mix & dot each with butter.
- With wet fingertip, moisten edges of dough and fold corners to center atop each apple.
- Pinch the edges together.
- Place in a 13x9 x2 baking dish.
- Pour syrup over dumplings.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 45 min or until apples are tender.
NotesI haven't had an apple dumpling in probably almost 30 years! My mom used to make them for dessert after Sunday dinner in the fall after apple picking. This is the first time I've ever tried to make them myself. They didn't look beautiful (one or two did though!) But they tasted so good!!!!!! My mom used to color the syrup red... I wish I had... I will next time! I 'guessed' that she got her recipe from the Red & White Checkered Better Homes cookbook. She did, but she changed it up! Her changes are for the filling she uses a mix of white & brown sugar and she dyes the syrup red for a more festive looking dessert.
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid FoodsSee More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More