- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI have had this recipe for over 30 years. I really don't remember where it came from, but I have made changes to it. I hope you like them.
- Apple Dumplings
- 6 golden delicious apples, peeled and cored
- 6-Tablespoons of room temperature butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple pie spice
- Make a paste of the butter and spice and set aside
- 2 ½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Favorite piecrust recipe.
- Divide the butter mixture between the apples, press into the centers.
- Divide the piecrust into two sections and roll out each section. Cut each section into 4 sections. Place an apple in the center of the sections and fold the piecrust up over the apple. I use the extra dough to cut out small leaves and place them on top of the apples. Place in a large baking dish that you have sprayed with a non-stick spray. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for approximately 40 to 45 minutes. Depending on your oven. Check after 35 minutes.
- To serve, pour the warmed syrup over the dumpling and a spoon of whipped cream or better yet, a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.