- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 5 lbs whole roasting chickens
- 6 small small tart baking apples, cored
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- sage leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Skewer neck skin of chicken to back; tie legs to tail.
- Twist wing tips under back.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast, uncovered, 1-1/4 hours.
- Cut string.
- Place apples around chicken.
- Meanwhile, in 1-qt. casserole combine rice and seasoning mix, water, and butter; cover.
- Set aside.
- Brush chicken and apples with some of one portion of glaze.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Roast chicken and rice together in oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours more or until instant-read thermometer registers 180F when inserted into thickest part of the thigh and juices run clear, brushing with remainder of the glaze portion twice.
- Stir green onion into rice.
- Transfer rice to platter; top with chicken and apples.
- Cover with foil.
- Skim fat from juices in roasting pan; discard. Pour remaining glaze portion into the roasting pan.
- Using wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits stuck to bottom of pan (place pan on stove top over medium heat, if necessary, to heat glaze).
- Strain; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to gravy boat.
- Garnish with sage.
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More