- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 5 lbs whole roasting chickens
- 6 small small tart baking apples, cored
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- sage leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Skewer neck skin of chicken to back; tie legs to tail.
- Twist wing tips under back.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast, uncovered, 1-1/4 hours.
- Cut string.
- Place apples around chicken.
- Meanwhile, in 1-qt. casserole combine rice and seasoning mix, water, and butter; cover.
- Set aside.
- Brush chicken and apples with some of one portion of glaze.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Roast chicken and rice together in oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours more or until instant-read thermometer registers 180F when inserted into thickest part of the thigh and juices run clear, brushing with remainder of the glaze portion twice.
- Stir green onion into rice.
- Transfer rice to platter; top with chicken and apples.
- Cover with foil.
- Skim fat from juices in roasting pan; discard. Pour remaining glaze portion into the roasting pan.
- Using wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits stuck to bottom of pan (place pan on stove top over medium heat, if necessary, to heat glaze).
- Strain; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to gravy boat.
- Garnish with sage.
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wifeSee More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More