- Cooking Time: 120
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/3 cups flour, more for rolling
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk plus 3 large eggs
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped, for serving.
- 1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place flour, sugar and salt in food processor. Pulse to blend. Dice 8 tablespoons butter, place in food processor and give it about 20 quick pulses, until butter is in tiny lumps. Beat egg yolk with 4 tablespoons ice water. Open cover of machine and sprinkle in egg mixture. Pulse briefly. Ingredients should start to clump together to form a dough; do not allow a ball of dough to form. If dough is too dry to hold together, add another teaspoon or two of water and pulse again.
- 2. Transfer dough mixture to lightly floured work surface and gather together to form into a flat, smooth disk. Roll to a circle about 13 inches in diameter and fit into a 10-inch fluted tart pan. Line with foil, weight with pastry weights and bake 10 minutes, until dry-looking. Remove foil and weights, prick bottom of pastry in a few places and bake until golden, about 20 minutes more. Remove from oven.
- 3. While pastry is baking melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add apples and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Stir in brown sugar, then add pecans. Sauté another minute. Remove from heat and spread in baked pastry. Beat eggs, stir in syrup and vanilla and pour over apples and pecans.
- 4. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until set and browned on top, about 25 minutes more.
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy FoodSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More