- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup all- purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in shortening until resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, lemon juice, and water; gradually add flour mixture tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Divide in half.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Roll out one portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in x 12-in. rectangle.
- Transfer to an ungreased 15 in. x 10-in x 1-in. baking pan.
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with the top edge.
- In a bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread over crust.
- Rollout remaining pastry to fit the top of the pan; brush edges between pastry with milk or water; pinch to seal.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack combne glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bars before cutting.
NotesI made these for my husband when we were first dating. He loved them. He loved them so much he wanted them at our wedding instead of cake. They were wonderful
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Babette's Test Kitchen
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More