APPLE PIE CHEESECAKE IN A GINGER CRUST
- Servings: 8 to 10
- 10 ounces dry gingersnap cookies
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
For the crust:
Pulse cookies, sugar and melted butter in a food
processor to a uniform, mealy consistency.
Press into a lightly greased 9-inch springform pan. Chill while making the filling.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
When hot, add the butter, apples and raisins.
Stir frequently for 10 minutes.
In a food processor, puree the cream cheese, eggs, milk, sugar and spices.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the cooked apples. Stir to combine.
Pour the filling into the crust and bake until the center of the cheesecake registers 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool on a rack for 1 hour before releasing the pan's spring and removing the collar.
Cool another hour, then transfer to a serving plate.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.