- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 9 ounces (2 sticks plus 2 tbsp) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon or orange zest
- 1 cup (8 fluid ounces) whole milk
- Apple Topping
- 3 tbsp (40 g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Cinnamon Frosting
- 12 ounces (3 sticks / 340g) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- To cook the apples
- Place butter and sugar in a large fry pan over low-medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add apple slices and cook for 8-10 minutes or until apples are lightly caramelized. Remove apples from pan and let cool completely.
- To make the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line 24 4-fl-oz-capacity muffin wells with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides if the bowl occasionally. Beat in the vanilla and grated zest.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix until flour is barely incorporated. Add the milk and mix until just smooth.
- Divide the batter among lined muffin wells, filling each well about 2/3 full. Top with the apples.
- Bake at 325F until a cake tested comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool cupcakes on cooling racks. Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting.
- To frost the cupcakes
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon and beat for another 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes with an icing spatula or piping bag. Optional: Lightly dust frosted cupcakes with 2-3 tsp ground cinnamon.
Notesadapted from Donna Hay Magazine #27 by Mary of http://alpineberry.blogspot.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Adventures in CookingSee More
Sauteed Spinach with Garlic: Julie & Julia
Red Cabbage and Apple Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
Marly's Vegan Coconut CakeSee More