- apples cut in cubes
- 1 can of shredded pineapple, drained (save the juice)
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup of pecans cut in half
- 12 marshmallows (I use miniatures to my taste)
- Mix with the following dressing
- 2 eggs beaten well
- Juice from can of pineapple
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
Boil all together in double boiler until thick. When it is cold, add 1 cup of whipping cream whipped. Serves 12 to 16 people.
After I became an official member of the Sauermilch family in 1943 and began participating in family occasions. That is when I learned about THE apple salad. This is a recipe belonging to the sister of
E.R.’s mother, Isabel Metz Sauermilch and her sister was Hilda Metz Neumeyer. This recipe was published in the first cook book published by the Presbyterian Church ladies in Yorktown, Texas. It is still a favorite of mine and my family’s. It was always served in a cut glass bowl.