- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 14
- Preparation Time: 90
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 egg white, beaten to a stiff
- Powdered sugar
- Stir flour and salt, cut in ½ cup of whole butter until crumbly.
- Mix the egg and water, add to flour.
- Knead dough for 4 minutes and cut into half.
- Let dough rest for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle a countertop with flour or cover a large table with a plastic covered tablecloth and sprinkle with flour.
- Roll half of the dough to a 20-inch square.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Starting from the middle of the dough, work underneath dough using back of your hands and stretch from one corner to the next until dough is paper-thin.
- Brush with more melted butter.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Trim edges of dough; put half the apples along the center of the dough.
- Sprinkle with half the sugar/cinnamon mixture and ½ cup of the raisins.
- Fold the dough over the filling, sealing both ends.
- Place on a lightly greased baking pan.
- Brush the top with the egg whites
- Bake strudel at 350° F for about 45 minutes.
- Cool strudel to room temperature and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
NotesNote: a good substitute for making the dough is frozen puff pastry or phyllo dough.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More