- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 14
- Preparation Time: 90
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 egg white, beaten to a stiff
- Powdered sugar
- Stir flour and salt, cut in ½ cup of whole butter until crumbly.
- Mix the egg and water, add to flour.
- Knead dough for 4 minutes and cut into half.
- Let dough rest for 1 hour.
- Sprinkle a countertop with flour or cover a large table with a plastic covered tablecloth and sprinkle with flour.
- Roll half of the dough to a 20-inch square.
- Brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Starting from the middle of the dough, work underneath dough using back of your hands and stretch from one corner to the next until dough is paper-thin.
- Brush with more melted butter.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon.
- Trim edges of dough; put half the apples along the center of the dough.
- Sprinkle with half the sugar/cinnamon mixture and ½ cup of the raisins.
- Fold the dough over the filling, sealing both ends.
- Place on a lightly greased baking pan.
- Brush the top with the egg whites
- Bake strudel at 350° F for about 45 minutes.
- Cool strudel to room temperature and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
NotesNote: a good substitute for making the dough is frozen puff pastry or phyllo dough.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More