- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups sliced tart apples
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 TBS grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup almonds, ground
- 8 ounces filo pastry, 1/2 box,thawed
- 1 3/4 cups butter, melted, (no margarine)
- 1 cup finely crushed breadcrumbs
- Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds.
- Set aside.
- Place 1 fillo leaf on a kitchen towel and brush with melted butter.
- Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again.
- Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 c of butter.
- Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 c of butter until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered fillo leaves.
- Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the fillo, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll fashion.
- Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 T crumbs.
- Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudle.
- Bake the strudels at 400ºF for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- NOTE: Frozen fillo leaves for strudel can be found at most supermarkets in the frozen foods sections.
NotesThis is on another recipe site I frequent on a daily basis. I'm posting it for a request made on the bulletin board.
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
Delicious Bahamian Recipes
Cook With The Twinz - Juice & Smoothies Volume OneSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More