Why I Love This Recipe
I love apples in the fall. This is a wonderful Apple-Walnut Cake that I found in a magazine. I suggest using melted butter instead of oil.
Ingredients You'll Need
Apple-Walnut Cake with Cider SauceBy Woman's Day Kitchen from Woman's
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
2 cups sugar
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1⁄4 cup apple cider
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg and baking soda
1⁄2 tsp salt
3 cups flour
2 large Granny Smith apples (3 1⁄2 cups), peeled, cored and sliced
1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
2 cups apple cider
1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 10-in. tube pan with removable tube insert with nonstick spray.
2. Whisk sugar, oil, apple cider, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until blended.
3. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in apples and walnuts.
4. Scrape mixture into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour and 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Let cool in pan on wire rack 1 hour. Remove sides of pan. Cool completely before lifting cake off bottom of pan.
6. Cider Sauce: Whisk cider, brown sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan until blended. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Boil 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla; stir until butter melts. Let cool to warm or refrigerate until serving
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cake