- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 125g self-raising flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 40g butter, softened to room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 60ml milk
- 60ml good quality apple cider
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and butter on a slow to medium speed until there is a sandy consistency.
- Gradually add the cider and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, milk and cinnamon until combined, then pour into flour mixture and mix all to combine. Be sure not to overmix or the cupcakes will be tough, but the mixture needs to be smooth.
- Spoon into small cupcake cases - this mixture makes 12 fairy cakes. Bake 18 - 20 minutes.
- Beat all ingredients on high speed until thick and creamy - about 5 minutes. Be careful not to overmix or frosting can go runny.
NotesI was walking along the Thames this afternoon and it was one of those magical winter days that London seems to get so rarely. Beautiful clear blue sky, no wind, crisp and cool. I started thinking about combining two of my favourite things - cider and baking - to try and capture the kind of day it is. I hope they do manage to portray a lovely winter's day!