- Cooking Time: 40-45
- Preparation Time:
- 5 cups thinly sliced pared tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flour (If using self-rising flour, omit salt)
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbs. margarine or butter
- Pastry for 9" Two-Crust Pie
- Mix apples, brown sugar, water and lemon juice in 2-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 7-8 minutes or just until apples are tender.
- Mix flour, sugar and salt; stir into apple mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and margarine; cool.
- Heat oven to 425. Prepare pastry.
- Turn apple mixture into pastry-lined pie
- plate. Cover and top crust that has slits cut in it; seal and flute.
- Cover edge with 2 to 3" strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking. Bake 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Nick's PicksSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More