- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 60
- Preparation Time: 40
- 1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for baking dish
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 jar (12 oz.) apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F and arrange rack in center. Butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish, then line with foil, allowing a 2-inch overhang on longer sides to use as handles; butter foil.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat together 1-1/2 sticks butter and the sugar in a large bowl on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cream and extract; beat until combined well.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, beating until just combined. Fold in cherries. Evenly spread batter in prepared dish.
- Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Transfer cookie layer in dish to rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, using fingertips, mix together oats, coconut, almonds, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 12 to 14 minutes. Cool.
- To assemble bar cookies: Spread preserves over cookie layer in dish, then sprinkle evenly with oat mixture. Holding foil handles, lift out of dish and place on work surface. Cut into 1-inch squares. (Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container, in single layers separated by waxed paper, up to 1 week. Makes about 60 bar cookies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Italy or Bust
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More