- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10
- Apricot-Blueberry Topping:
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) apricot halves in syrup
- 1 can (15 ounces) wild blueberries in light syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- French Toast:
- 3 large or extra-large eggs
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk (may substitute canned, fat-free evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, optional
- Preparation Time: Approximately 10 minutes
- Cook Time: Approximately 15 minutes
- For the Apricot-Blueberry Topping: Drain apricots and blueberries, reserving the syrup. In a small saucepan combine the reserved syrup, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch, mixing until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Slice apricots; add apricots and blueberries to the sauce. Heat through; cover and set aside.
- For the French Toast: Whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a shallow dish until blended. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Dip the bread into egg mixture, turning to soak both sides; place in the skillet. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Cut each into 4 triangles and arrange on serving plates. Spoon the apricot-blueberry topping over the toast; sprinkle with almonds.
- Servings: 4
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 310; Total fat 5g; Saturated fat 1.5g; Cholesterol 160mg; Sodium 220mg; Carbohydrate 57g; Fiber 5g; Protein 9g; Vitamin A 35%DV*; Vitamin C 4%DV; Calcium 10%DV; Iron 15%DV
- *Daily Value
NotesWake up with this great breakfast! Enjoy whole-grain French toast with a nutrient-rich apricot-blueberry topping, made with canned fruit from your pantry shelf.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Fit With Good Food!
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Italy or BustSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More