- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 5 lb. duck with giblets (remove the giblets and trim off excess skin and reserve)
- 1 cup Apricot Orange Glaze
- salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- all giblets and reserved skin
- 1/2 cup Merlot
- 6 cups water
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Apricot Orange Glaze
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch disolved in water
- Place both ingrediants in a saucepan and heat until melted and combined.
- Remove the duck from it's wrapper and place it in a pan in the refrigerator for one hour, uncovered, this will allow the skin to dry slightly and the result will be a crisper skin.
- Pierce the skin all over with a small sharp object such as a skewer, this allows for the fat to release from under the skin while roasting.
- Season all over and in the cavities with salt and pepper and place on a rack in a roasting pan into a 375° preheated oven and roast for one hour.
- Brush or spoon the glaze over the entire exposed part of the duck and continue roasting for 15 minutes or until 160° internal temperature is achieved.
- Remove the duck from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- While your duck is resting in the refrigerator, you can begin the sauce.
- Place the olive oil into a two quart sauce pan and heat to smoking.
- Add the giblets and reserved skin and saute until well browned.
- Deglaze with the Merlot and add the water.
- Add the bay leaf, peppercorns and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for one hour, ocasionally skimming the fat from the top of the stock.
- Strain the stock and reserve the liquid, you can discard the giblets if you wish.
- Return the liquid to the pan and reduce to two cups volume.
- Add the glaze and heat to a simmer.
- Add the cornstarch and water mixture and thicken slightly
NotesI make Christmas dinner every year for some of my wifes family. Every year I make something different. This one turned out extra well. This makes a wonderful holiday meal.
Use the sauce as an accompaniment for the duck.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More