- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake or button mushrooms, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 ounce dried arame (about 3/4 cup), soaked 5 minutes in 2 cups cold water, then drained
- 1/2 pound farfalle (bowtie) pasta, cooked, drained and cooled
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut into matchstick pieces
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat until brown and beginning to stick, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add balsamic vinegar to pan. Stir, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in arame and let cool, then strain, reserving vinegar liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked pasta, green onions, red bell pepper, pine nuts, basil and mushroom-arame mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together strained vinegar with remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper until creamy. Pour over salad and toss gently until pasta and vegetables are well coated. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
NotesLooking for a taste of the sea without the fish? Sea vegetables offer an excellent choice. Chewy tender arame, the mildest of sea vegetables, supplies dietary fiber and a wealth of vitamins and minerals. Complemented by sautéed shiitake mushrooms, pine nuts and basil, this pasta salad provides a perfect fusion of Asian and Italian flavors.
Per serving (about 5oz/164g-wt.): 370 calories (170 from fat), 19g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 42g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 10g protein
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Home cookingSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More