- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 4 leg quarters (Or a whole chicken quartered)
- 2 cups short grain rice, rinsed until water runs clear
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. ground oregano
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth (canned is OK)
- 1 cup Sauvignon Blanc wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 packet of Sazon Goya
- 1 small can petit pois
- 1 large jar good quality pimentos
- 1 cup beer (room temperature) (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the virgin olive oil until fragrant.
- Brown chicken pieces to golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to a Dutch oven, cover and
- set apart.
- To the olive oil add chopped onion and pepper, minced garlic and bay leaves. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato sauce, cumin, oregano,salt and pepper; stir.
- Cook at medium heat until the tomato sauce
- thickens and separates from the oil.
- Add chicken broth, wine, water, vinegar, the liquids that come with the petit pois and pimentos, and coloring*.Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Bring to boil. Add chicken pieces; lower to medium low and cook on top of the stove for 30 minutes.
- Add the rice distributing it around the chicken pieces. Taste for salt
- and pepper and adjust as needed.
- Pour half of the petit pois over the ice/chicken mixture.
- Cover and lower the temperature to low.
- Cook for an hour.
- Transfer the chicken and rice to a large serving platter placing the rice
- first, with the chicken nicely arranged over it. Garnish with remaining petit pois, and pimentos.
NotesIn Cuba every cook has its own version of Arroz con Pollo. This is my very
own. Among my family, my mother is famous for her Arroz con Pollo, but she
thinks mine is better. I believe she likes mine because every cook likes
food better when another person cooks it!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Italy or Bust
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
My Family CookbookSee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More