- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6 small bowls
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup of enriched, long grain, parboiled rice (if its not parboiled, it will take forever to cook)
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar (you can add more or less depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2 tsp. of vanilla extract (we love our vanilla! You can add less if you like)
- 4 cups of whole milk or 3 cups of whole milk and 1 cup of heavy cream, depending on how creamy you like it.
- Place water into skillet and turn heat on high
- Add rice to water and stir around so it won't stick to bottom
- Once water begins to boil, add sugar and vanilla extract and stir to mix evenly
- Add cinnamon sticks and cover halfway, keeping an eye on the rice until all water is absorbed
- Once water has been absorbed, reduce heat to medium low and add the milk or milk/cream mix
- Stir continuously so that milk will not start to burn at bottom of skillet
- Continue to stir until rice is super soft, tender, and gooey.
- Once the rice has reached perfection, remove the pan from the heat but leave rice in the original skillet so it will continue to cook (add more milk if needed). Make sure to leave in canela sticks as well as they will continue to give off flavor and aroma.
- You can view the recipe along with step-by-step pictures of the process on my blog at:
- Buen Provecho!
NotesHere's my recipe for a classic rice pudding, also known as "arroz con leche" in Latin America. My husband taught me this recipe the first year we got married. This recipe is very easy to make and children love to eat it. You can view this recipe, along with step-by-step pictures of the process, on my blog at:
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More