ARROZ CON POLLO - RICE WITH CHICKEN
Arroz con Pollo - Rice with Chicken
- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 40
- 1 Chicken approx. 2 lbs , cut into quarters
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 cups of rice, Valencia or long grain
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 oz fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Annato (available in latin American markets)*
- 2 tablespoons Lizano sauce (available in Latin American markets)*
Dip the individual pieces of chicken in flour.
Salt and pepper each piece. Brown the chicken in the 2 Tbs of oil.
Remove the chicken.
Brown the rice in the same pan, and add remaining oil.
Add in the onion and garlic and cook until onions are soft (approx 4 minutes).
Separately mix up the chicken stock, tomatoes, peppers, Anato and Lizano sauce.
Place the chicken on top of the rice and onion mixture and pour the sauce mixture on top.
Cover and bring to a simmer until done, approximately 25 minutes.
Add the peas at the end.Top with fresh parsley prior to serving.
In Latin America, it is particularly popular and the recipes vary by region. Anato oil or achiote , rather than saffron, is often used to give the rice its yellow color.