- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
BackstoryI don't know who Arthur is, but we had this years and years ago when we played in a Pinochle group. I have been making it ever since and am always asked for the recipe. If you can keep a pumpkin till Thanksgiving, it makes a great dessert for that feast.
- 1 whole pumpkin 5-6 pounds
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of sliced apples, skin on
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped course
- 1/2 cup candy corn
- Cut the top off the pumpkin, save top.
- Scoop out seeds.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to pumpkin
- Put lid back on and place pumpkin on a sturdy cookie sheet.
- You will probably have to remove one of the racks in your oven and lower to the lowest level.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve apple filling over French vanilla, maple walnut, or butter pecan ice cream.
- Note: Buy a pumpkin that is wider rather than tall. Do not over bake or the sides will collapse.