- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- 1 whole pumpkin 5-6 pounds
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of sliced apples, skin on
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped course
- 1/2 cup candy corn
- Cut the top off the pumpkin, save top.
- Scoop out seeds.
- Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to pumpkin
- Put lid back on and place pumpkin on a sturdy cookie sheet.
- You will probably have to remove one of the racks in your oven and lower to the lowest level.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve apple filling over French vanilla, maple walnut, or butter pecan ice cream.
- Note: Buy a pumpkin that is wider rather than tall. Do not over bake or the sides will collapse.
NotesI don't know who Arthur is, but we had this years and years ago when we played in a Pinochle group. I have been making it ever since and am always asked for the recipe. If you can keep a pumpkin till Thanksgiving, it makes a great dessert for that feast.
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Cooking for a family in Korea: notes of an ex-pat wife
Best of Eva's Family RecipesSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More