- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryCreated by Sarah McLachlan
From the book Plenty by Sarah McLachlan with Jaime Laurita
If there's one thing to know about chai, it's that everyone makes it differently. This is a version that singer Sarah McLachlan and her husband, Ash, have worked on for a while.
- 4 cups water
- 1 large cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2–3 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon amchoor (mango powder) (optional)
- 4 regular tea bags
- 2–3 cups whole milk
- Sugar to taste
- Mix the water and spices together and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the tea bags. Allow to steep until desired strength is achieved. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Add sugar to taste, or serve unsweetened and allow each person to sweeten the tea to taste.