- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups water
- 1 large cinnamon stick or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2–3 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon amchoor (mango powder) (optional)
- 4 regular tea bags
- 2–3 cups whole milk
- Sugar to taste
- Mix the water and spices together and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the tea bags. Allow to steep until desired strength is achieved. Add milk and bring to a simmer. Add sugar to taste, or serve unsweetened and allow each person to sweeten the tea to taste.
NotesCreated by Sarah McLachlan
From the book Plenty by Sarah McLachlan with Jaime Laurita
If there's one thing to know about chai, it's that everyone makes it differently. This is a version that singer Sarah McLachlan and her husband, Ash, have worked on for a while.