- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2cup Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon annato seeds (achiote)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 small red chiles (such as ajíes dulces or ripe jalapeños, seeded and minced)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 32 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 36 medium shrimp
- Step 1
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot, heat olive oil and annato seeds over medium-high heat.
- Cook until the oil turns red and the seeds begin to release their aroma.
- Remove the oil from heat and strain into a small dish.
- Discard the seeds.
- Step 2
- Return the oil to the pan.
- Add onion and chiles and cook until onion is almost translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomato sauce, bay leaves, oregano, and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the frozen vegetables, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook until vegetables are nearly tender, about 7 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add the rice and shrimp.
- Cover and cook until the shrimp turn pink and are cooked through,
- about 5 minutes.
NotesSubmitted by Tiffany Ortiz
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More