Asparagus, Corn and Crab Soup
Why I Love This Recipe
When I think of comfort food, I think of cream asparagus, corn and crab soup that my mother used to make for me when I was young. Mom used to use fresh crab meat and it takes forever. I make this same soup for my family, but I use canned crab meat, it's much faster and they love it. Here is my version of the Asparagus, Corn and Crab Soup.
Ingredients You'll Need
3 cooked crabs or one can of crab meat
1 1/2 liters chicken stock
1/2 tap. gingerroot, finely chopped
10 stalks green asparagus, sliced diagonally
3 shitake mushrooms, soaked, softened and chopped
3 green onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 bsp. arrowroot, made into a paste with 2 tablespoons water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 small can of cream of corn
3 tbsp. coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
1. Pick meat from crabs. If you are using can of crab meat, skip this step.
2. Add ginger, shitake mushrooms and asparagus spears to the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until asparagus is tender.
3. Add the green onions, sesame oil, cream of corn and arrowroot paste, increase heat and stir until soup thickens.
4. Reduce heat, add crabmeat and slowly pour in egg, stirring slowly so that the egg forms thin ribbons through the soup.
9. Add salt and pepper and garnished with coriander leaves.