AU GRATIN POTATOES WITH BLACK OLIVES
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 can pitted black olives, drained and halved
- 2 c light cream or whole milk
- 1 c onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or scant Tbsp fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 Tbsp fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 3/4 grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 lg potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and sliced paper thin
- 4 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In large sauce pan, mix together cream/milk, onions, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 3 min.
- Whisk in 1/2 c parmesan until smooth, about 1 min.
- Add olives and simmer 3 min, stirring often.
- Peel potatoes and slice them paper thin, I mean, paper thin.
- Add to pot and stir gently until potatoes are covered in sauce.
- With slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to greased 9 1/2" X 9 1/2" casserole.
- Distribute remaining sauce evenly over potatoes.
- Sprinkled gruyere cheese over top with remaining 1/4 c parmesan.
- Cover dish and bake 50 min.
- Uncover and bake 25-30 min longer until brown and bubbly.
NotesThis is soothing and not too heavy. The original recipe, copied by my mom from a mystery novel, calls for light cream and dried herbs. I substituted whole milk and fresh herbs. Teenage picky-eater son ate two large helpings. That's a successful dish at our house.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More