- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 can pitted black olives, drained and halved
- 2 c light cream or whole milk
- 1 c onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or scant Tbsp fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 Tbsp fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 3/4 grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 lg potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and sliced paper thin
- 4 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In large sauce pan, mix together cream/milk, onions, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 3 min.
- Whisk in 1/2 c parmesan until smooth, about 1 min.
- Add olives and simmer 3 min, stirring often.
- Peel potatoes and slice them paper thin, I mean, paper thin.
- Add to pot and stir gently until potatoes are covered in sauce.
- With slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to greased 9 1/2" X 9 1/2" casserole.
- Distribute remaining sauce evenly over potatoes.
- Sprinkled gruyere cheese over top with remaining 1/4 c parmesan.
- Cover dish and bake 50 min.
- Uncover and bake 25-30 min longer until brown and bubbly.
NotesThis is soothing and not too heavy. The original recipe, copied by my mom from a mystery novel, calls for light cream and dried herbs. I substituted whole milk and fresh herbs. Teenage picky-eater son ate two large helpings. That's a successful dish at our house.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More