AU GRATIN POTATOES WITH BLACK OLIVES
Au Gratin Potatoes with Black Olives
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 can pitted black olives, drained and halved
- 2 c light cream or whole milk
- 1 c onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or scant Tbsp fresh, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil or 1 Tbsp fresh, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 3/4 grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 lg potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and sliced paper thin
- 4 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
Preheat oven to 375°.
In large sauce pan, mix together cream/milk, onions, herbs, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer 3 min.
Whisk in 1/2 c parmesan until smooth, about 1 min.
Add olives and simmer 3 min, stirring often.
Peel potatoes and slice them paper thin, I mean, paper thin.
Add to pot and stir gently until potatoes are covered in sauce.
With slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to greased 9 1/2" X 9 1/2" casserole.
Distribute remaining sauce evenly over potatoes.
Sprinkled gruyere cheese over top with remaining 1/4 c parmesan.
Cover dish and bake 50 min.
Uncover and bake 25-30 min longer until brown and bubbly.