- Cooking Time: 30 minutes or so
- Servings: 8 bagels
- Preparation Time:
- 1 egg (separated)
- 1 T oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 C to 1/2 C flour (plus more for mixing and rolling)
- Poppy seeds
- Separate egg.
- Beat egg white.
- Mix egg yolk, oil, and sugar.
- Add 1/4 C to 1/2 C flour.
- Add beaten egg white.
- Add more flour until you can put a floured finger into the mixture and it doesn’t stick to dough, but a non-floured finger does stick.
- Pat onto floured cloth.
- Cut into about 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a thin strip about 1/2” wide and 3” to 4” long.
- Form each strip into a circle, pinching ends together.
- Boil about 2” water in a pot.
- Drop rings in for 1 or 2 minutes of rapid boiling.
- Put rings in a strainer and rinse with cold water.
- The rings can be refrigerated now, or baked.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 350 degrees on a non-oiled pan, or right on the oven rack, for about 25 minutes.
NotesRecipe from Aunt Feige, Rita’s older sister.
If egg white is beaten and added last, it will be fluffier.
Aunt Feige’s recipe calls for poppy seeds, but you can also sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds or other topping.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Cooking with Sabra
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More