- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Blattelach (dough leaf)
- Potato OR Kashe Filling
- 1 onion
- 1/8 lb butter
- Mazola oil for bagellach
- Blattelach (dough leaf) Ingredients:
- 1 C flour (plus extra for mixing dough and preparing dough leaf)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 C to 1 C hot water
- Potato Filling Ingredients:
- 3 big potatoes, mashed coarsely
- Little salt
- Little pepper
- Kashe Filling Ingredients:
- Kashe (similar amount as for potato filling)
- 2 lbs hoop cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- Little sugar
- Little salt
- Directions: Blattelach (dough leaf)
- Mix 1 C flour and salt well with a knife
- Add more flour and mix well until a floured finger doesn’t stick, but a non-floured one does.
- Put on floured board and pat.
- Cut into 2 parts and let sit (covered) at least an hour and a half.
- Cover kitchen table with cloth.
- Flour the cloth.
- Roll one part of the dough a little with stick, pick up on stick, wave to stretch, roll, etc. until all dough covers much of table and all of stick.
- Stretch some with hands, then let it sit.
- Pick up edges, wave a bit to stretch.
- Wait. Talk to someone, be patient.
- Stretch and wait some more.
- When almost dry in center, keep pulling off sticky edges.
- Can read newspaper through dough when ready (not quite as dry as for Strudel).
- Directions: Assembly
- Brown onion in butter and Mazola oil.
- Put in potato or Kashe filling.
- Sprinkle oil over Blattelach.
- Place filling on dough, about 1 inch in diameter, two per blattelach.
- Cut in middle.
- Put first roll over, pick up cloth to roll.
- Cut 3” to 6” long.
- Put in greased pan.
- Bake in 350 to 400 degree oven until crispy and brown on top.
NotesAunt Feige was Rita’s older sister
Dough is not quite as dry as for Strudel.
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Chicken with Basil-Lemon-Garlic Oil, Parmesan, and Black Pepper
Blue Cheese Pull Apart Loaf
MINESTRONE SOUPSee More