- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Blattelach (dough leaf)
- Potato OR Kashe Filling
- 1 onion
- 1/8 lb butter
- Mazola oil for bagellach
- Blattelach (dough leaf) Ingredients:
- 1 C flour (plus extra for mixing dough and preparing dough leaf)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 C to 1 C hot water
- Potato Filling Ingredients:
- 3 big potatoes, mashed coarsely
- Little salt
- Little pepper
- Kashe Filling Ingredients:
- Kashe (similar amount as for potato filling)
- 2 lbs hoop cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- Little sugar
- Little salt
- Directions: Blattelach (dough leaf)
- Mix 1 C flour and salt well with a knife
- Add more flour and mix well until a floured finger doesn’t stick, but a non-floured one does.
- Put on floured board and pat.
- Cut into 2 parts and let sit (covered) at least an hour and a half.
- Cover kitchen table with cloth.
- Flour the cloth.
- Roll one part of the dough a little with stick, pick up on stick, wave to stretch, roll, etc. until all dough covers much of table and all of stick.
- Stretch some with hands, then let it sit.
- Pick up edges, wave a bit to stretch.
- Wait. Talk to someone, be patient.
- Stretch and wait some more.
- When almost dry in center, keep pulling off sticky edges.
- Can read newspaper through dough when ready (not quite as dry as for Strudel).
- Directions: Assembly
- Brown onion in butter and Mazola oil.
- Put in potato or Kashe filling.
- Sprinkle oil over Blattelach.
- Place filling on dough, about 1 inch in diameter, two per blattelach.
- Cut in middle.
- Put first roll over, pick up cloth to roll.
- Cut 3” to 6” long.
- Put in greased pan.
- Bake in 350 to 400 degree oven until crispy and brown on top.
NotesAunt Feige was Rita’s older sister
Dough is not quite as dry as for Strudel.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More