- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup rice
- 3 and 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2.Put rice in 2 quart ungreased baking dish.
- 3.Add boiling water.
- 4.Set aside.
- 5.In skillet, brown ground beef and onion.
- 6.Add beef, onion, celery, brown sugar, soy sauce and mushrooms to rice.
- 7.Cover dish.
- 8.Bake for 1 hour, stirring halfway through baking.
NotesAunt Jennie would always bring her rice hot dish to family functions. She would double the recipe to make sure everyone would get a helping. And of course, because this is Minnesota, it's a Hot Dish, not a casserole.
Submitted by: "Rena Waalkens-Masyga"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Sharing Christmas with Friends
My Family CookbookSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More