- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- stage 1 dough
- 1 1/4 c water, 110-115 degrees
- 1 pkg dry yeast
- pinch of sugar plus 1 c
- pinch of flour plus 3 3/4 c
- 3 1/4 c milk
- 1 c canola oil (I used vegetable)
- stage 2 dough
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 7-8 c plus 1/4 c all purpose flour
- Stage 1 dough
- Mix in small bowl: stir water, yeast, pinch sugar, pinch flour til foamy for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat milk in large saucepan over medium-high til it begins to steam. DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour hot milk in large heatproof bowl and stir in oil, 1 c sugar, 1/4 c flour. Stir constantly until temp cools to 110-115.
- Add yeast mix to milk mix.
- Gradually whisk 1/2 c at a time the remaining flour. Batter should be thin like pancake batter.
- Cover bowl with plastic or a towel. Rest in a warm place hour or until it doubles in bulk.
- Stage 2 dough
- Stir first 3 ingredients together with 1 c flour into a small bowl.
- Stir into stage 1 dough until combined.
- Start stirring in remaining flour, 1/2 c at a time, until it starts to lose its stickiness and begins to pull away from sides of bowl.
- Once at this stage, cover with 1/4 c flour and let fall down sides using spoon to lift away from the sides.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate over night (I would cover the top of the bread dough with plastic--it won't stick because of the flour. The dough will keep for 3 days in fridge at this point).
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Evenly coat 9" pan with butter or cooking spray and make into rolls the size of a lemon and should barely touch in the pan.
- Allow to rise in a warm area for 30 minutes-1 hour.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately with butter.
- We live in a humid climate in the south/east coast and mine actually took 10 cups of flour, Aunt Judy lives in Texas, but the difference could be that one of is is heavy or lighter handed than the other when measuring flour. I prepared my dough that morning and baked them off that night. I baked mine in 9 X 9 metal pans in 4 rows of 4, but I melted 2 tbsp butter in the pan and rolled each in the butter before baking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Camp Nubar Baking Class
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More