AUNT KIKI’S CREAMED CHICKEN AND CORNBREAD
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon
- 2 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 jar (2 oz) diced pimiento
- 1 box Jiffy Cornbread mix (prepared via box instructions) *not cooked, just mixed
Heat margarine in 2-quart saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
Cook stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat.
Stir in water, milk and instant bouillon. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken, green pepper, mushrooms (with liquid) and pimiento (with liquid)
Pour hot chicken mixture into ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Pour prepared corn bread batter over top.
Bake uncovered in 450 degree oven until golden brown, 25-30 minutes.
Garnish each serving with a carrot curl and parsley if desired.