- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1 small green pepper or red pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernel
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 2/3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Put the rice and 2 2/3 cups water or broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients. After rice has been cooking 15-20 minutes, continue as follows.
- In a skillet, soften the onion and garlic in a little water.
- Stir the next 8 ingredients into the skillet (tomato to pepper). Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- When no water is left on the rice and it's just beginning to stick, remove from the heat and let it stand covered. This is important, to allow it to dry and fluff up a bit before serving.
- Slightly mash half of the beans. Stir them all into the skillet. Cook partially covered, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Discard bay le
NotesMy Dad's sister,Aunt Nancy, was married to Charlie, a Cajun from New Orleans. And her being Cherokee made an wild match. Food at thier house was always so good. She was my second mother growing up, & her home was my second home.
She is now dieing of Cancer, and gave me alot of her Cajun Recipes. I'm posting them in her honor.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
A Falcon Feast
Fun appetizers and snacksSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More