AUNT SHERRY’S CHICKEN CACCIATORE
- 4 medium chicken breasts cleaned and cubed
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 3 TBLS olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans whole tomatoes quartered
- 1 lg or 2 small cans tomato sauce
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 1/2 oz sliced mushrooms, fresh or canned (drain juice)
- 1 lg bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary crushed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Clean chicken, cut or cube. Pat dry and set aside.
Slice onions in 1/4 inch or less slices and mince garlic. Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
Put onions and garlic in large medium hot skillet with hot olive oil (do not burn oil) Stir frequently to prevent burning.
Cook until onion is clear. Remove from pan. Set aside. You may need to add 1-2 TBLS olive oil to pan. Cook chicken in the same skillet.
When chicken is fully cooked, return onions and garlic to the chicken and stir.
Add tomato mixture to chicken mixture. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cook 30 minutes covered. Stir occasionally.
Remove lid, add 1/2 cup wine and stir. Cook an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Serve over rice.