- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 1 large egg, separated; yolk slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar, to taste
- 1/2 cup sweet butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins, finely chopped
- Crust: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Working on a large flat surface, such as a pastry board, place the flour and the sugar in the center of the surface and mix together. Form a small depression or well in the center of the mound. Add the beaten egg yolk and the softened butter to the well, then blend these with the dry mixture. Mix the ingredients thoroughly using your hands -- there's no substitute for warm hands. Shape the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 10 minutes. Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4-inch. You should have a circle of about 11-inches in diameter. For best results, roll out your dough between 2 sheets of waxed paper, then peel away the paper and cut the crust in a 9-inch circle. Place the circle inside a 9-inch springform pan. Prick the crust several times with a fork to keep the crust from puffing up during the baking. Place the springform pan in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light brown. Allow to cool. Using the leftover dough, line the sides of the springform pan. Press the dough against the sides of the pan, smoothing it so as to have a continuous layer of crust all the way around the sides of the pan. Make sure that the side crust meets the bottom crust all the way around. Brush the reserved egg white onto the shell, covering the bottom and sides. This will seal the dough and keep it from becoming soggy. Set aside until ready to use.
- Cheesecake: Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Press the cheese through a sieve. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cheese and sugar until light. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then add the milk, lemon rind, and vanilla. Stir in the flour and blend until smooth. In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gradually add the confectioners' sugar beating until they form stiff peaks. Fold the whites into the cheese mixture. Gently stir in the raisin bits, then pour the mixture into the prepared crust. Bake for 55 minutes or until the center appears firm. Let the cake cool in the oven for 15 minutes, then allow to cool to room temperature.
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
Veggie breakfast burritos, ready to eat
Santa Fe ChiliSee More