AUTHENTIC PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP
Authentic Portuguese Kale Soup
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight in cold water) or use 2 cans cannellini beans
- 5 (13 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb kale (broken up into small pieces or large shred)
- 1 large onion, diced coarsely
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage, skinned and broken up
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, broth is very salty, as is sausage (optional)
- As Needed
- 1-2 cup water (as needed while cooking)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-2 cup water
Soak beans overnight in cold water. In morning, drain beans.
("OR" used canned beans and cut down cooking time.).
In large pot, add beans, onions, sausage, kale, salt/pepper, vinegar, beef broth and 2 cups of the water.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cook gently for 3 hours.
Add potatoes and 1 or 2 cups more water.
Continue cooking until potatoes are tender.