- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight in cold water) or use 2 cans cannellini beans
- 5 (13 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb kale (broken up into small pieces or large shred)
- 1 large onion, diced coarsely
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage, skinned and broken up
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, broth is very salty, as is sausage (optional)
- As Needed
- 1-2 cup water (as needed while cooking)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-2 cup water
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. In morning, drain beans.
- ("OR" used canned beans and cut down cooking time.).
- In large pot, add beans, onions, sausage, kale, salt/pepper, vinegar, beef broth and 2 cups of the water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cook gently for 3 hours.
- Add potatoes and 1 or 2 cups more water.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender.
NotesThis is an authentic Portuguese Kale soup. I don't use the dried bans, I use canned canneloni instead. It saves time and I like them better than the red variety. The number of servings is a guess as the size of your bowl and appetite varies. Also whether you use this as a main dish or soup course.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More