- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight in cold water) or use 2 cans cannellini beans
- 5 (13 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb kale (broken up into small pieces or large shred)
- 1 large onion, diced coarsely
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage, skinned and broken up
- 1 lb linguica sausage, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, broth is very salty, as is sausage (optional)
- As Needed
- 1-2 cup water (as needed while cooking)
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-2 cup water
- Soak beans overnight in cold water. In morning, drain beans.
- ("OR" used canned beans and cut down cooking time.).
- In large pot, add beans, onions, sausage, kale, salt/pepper, vinegar, beef broth and 2 cups of the water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cook gently for 3 hours.
- Add potatoes and 1 or 2 cups more water.
- Continue cooking until potatoes are tender.
NotesThis is an authentic Portuguese Kale soup. I don't use the dried bans, I use canned canneloni instead. It saves time and I like them better than the red variety. The number of servings is a guess as the size of your bowl and appetite varies. Also whether you use this as a main dish or soup course.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More