Autumnal Jujube Jam
* 30 Jujube fruits
* 3/4 cup water
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1 tablespoon flour or quick-cooking tapioca
* Grated zest of one lemon (juice of half a lemon)
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
* a pinch of salt (if you have lavendar salt use that-not completely necessary)
1. Chop jujubes so you cut the stems and seeds out.
2. Combine Jujube fruit in a steep pot or slow cooker.
3. Add all ingredients and cook on medium heat stirring every few minutes. Use lid if necessary.
4. Once jujubes are soft and mixture looks ready, take off the heat and let sit to cool
5. When the mixture is cool, put in food processor and mix on chopped. Grind down until smooth.
Pairs Well With
I was walking through the Lakeshore farmer’s market one day and these circular brown apple impersonators caught my eye. They were hiding in a bin looking forbidden, so of course I went right over, picked up a handful, and asked myself what I could do with this forbidden fruit.
The jujube is a Chinese date that looks like a small brown apple and tastes just as sweet and a little tart.
Speaking of dates, this fruit is quite the charmer.
Apparently throughout Chinese history the fruit was believed to make teenagers fall in love. In the Himalaya and Karakoram regions, in order to impress the ladies, men would skip cologne and put the Jujube flower stem in their hat.
So perhaps all you fellas out there reaching for your Hugo Boss cologne, you might actually find what you are looking for at the farmer’s market.Lastly I now know in a traditional Chinese wedding ceremony, historically the jujube was used in the newlyweds bedroom as a good luck charm for fertility–an invocation to “have an honored child soon.” In the Jewish religion we just brake a glass. Everyone has their tradish.
Jujubes are a great way to cleanse the palate after a meal. They are are rumored to help with sleep and stress. So with check marks in the love, rest and overall health category, you really can’t go wrong with the Jujube.
Today for you I made a Jujube Jam recipe. Say that three times fast.