- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade, if not, low sodium
- 1 cup orzo pasta, or rice
- 4 eggs, separated
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Bring stock to a boil and add orzo or rice. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Season stock to taste with salt, if necessary.
- 2. When the orzo or rice is nearing tenderness, whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until medium peaks. Add egg yolks and lemon juice, whisking continuously.
- 3. When the orzo or rice is finished, transfer 2 cups of the hot stock to the egg/lemon mixture, adding very slowly in a constant stream and beating vigorously to prevent the eggs from solidifying.
- 4. Take the soup off the heat and add the beaten mixture back into the pot, whisking to incorporate. Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper.
NotesI found this recipe somewhere on the internet (don't remember where) and thought it sounded good. It's very easy to make, and doesn't take too long either. I added chicken to the recipe just because. I sauteed boneless/skinless chicken thighs till done in my dutch oven, removed them, and then added the stock for step #1, scraping up the "fond" from the bottom of the pan. I diced the chicken roughly and added it back after the whisking in step #4. You could also use b/s chicken breasts, and shred the meat if you prefer.
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More