- Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Smokey Tomato Butter:
- 1 plum tomato
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Avocado-Bacon Scones:
- 4 thick slices bacon
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (for brushing on top) buttermilk
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Coarse salt for sprinkling
- Cut an X into the bottom of the tomato. Blanche the tomato in a pan of boiling water for 10 seconds, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice water. Peel and core the tomato, remove the seeds and chop coarsely. Place the chopped tomato into the bowl of a food processor, along with ½ cup unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon chives, ½ teaspoon liquid smoke and ¼ teaspoon sea salt. Pulse until well-blended. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fry the bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside.
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl; stir in 1/2 cup buttermilk and the chives.
- Into a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt; add the butter and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the crumbled bacon and then add the avocado mixture, stirring until the mixture is sticky, yet manageable. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for just a few seconds. Divide the dough in half and pat each half into a circle, about 6 inches in diameter. Place the circles of dough on a large baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper. Cut each circle into 8 wedges and separate slightly. Brush each wedge with buttermilk and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just starting to turn brown. Serve warm with tomato butter.
- More Bacon Recipes you may enjoy!
NotesThe mission was to create a new and different avocado recipe. A scone sounded perfect. Add some smokey tomato butter and the result was perfection, indeed.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More