- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup ice waer
- cooking spray
- 10 cups very thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 3 pounds/6 apples)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon sugar (you can make your own with a 3 T sugar to 1 tsp cinnamon ratio)
- To prepare pastry, lightly spoon 2 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add ice water; toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist. divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 4 inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place 1 portion of chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plaste coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap.
- To prepare filling, combine apple and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg); toss gently to coat. Spoon apple mixture into prepared pie plate; top with butter.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place remaining portion of chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle. Place dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, over apple mixture. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under and flute. Cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- To prepare topping, brush top of dough with milk and sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over dough. Place pie plate on a foil lined baking sheet; bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 40 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack.
NotesOne of the people we had over for dinner the night I first made this walked into our kitchen and said, "Is that home-made pie? It looks so perfect it could be in a magazine!" I thought that was pretty funny. I'm sure it's the cinnamon sugar topping that gives it the extra finished look.
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers with Zucchini Rice
Endive Rhubarb Salad
COTTAGE CHEESE BRUNCH BLINTZESSee More