AWESOME SAUSAGE, APPLE AND CRANBERRY STUFFING
- Servings: 10
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 3/4 cups white bread, cubed
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage (I use pork with sage)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 golden delicious apple, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cooked turkey liver, finely chopped (I omit)
- 3/4 cup turkey stock (or chicken stock)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C). Spread the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, parsley, and liver. Drizzle with turkey stock and melted
butter, and mix lightly. Spoon into turkey to loosely fill.