- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI made up this recipe as a way to enjoy one of our favorite dishes - Lasagna - in a much healthier way. All the flavors work so well together, and even my fiance loved it. Yes, it is a healthy "chic" dish but has enough flavor to satisfy a man. The best part is, 1/4 of the recipe is only 437 calories - and that is a huge, filling portion. So go ahead and enjoy!
- 1 medium-large spaghetti squash
- 10 oz package white mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 10 oz package fresh spinach
- few teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 links TraderJoe's Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced thin
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes w/basil & garlic (or add your own seasonings)
- 1/2 cup sundried tomato paste or drained, chopped sundried tomatoes
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 15 oz container part skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano
- italian seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Pierce squash with fork and roast for 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, cut in half, remove seeds, and scoop out strings to measure 4 cups. This part can bedone ahead of time, and the scooped out squash can be stored in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Over medium heat, saute mushrooms and garlic for 5-10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until it is wilted. Mix in sausage slices.
- Meanwhile, heat crushed tomatoes over medium heat with sundried tomatoes and crushed red pepper.
- Mix cheeses and italian seasoning.
- Spray a 9x13" casserole with cooking spray. Place half of squash evenly in pan. Cover with half of mushroom mixture, half of cheese, and half of sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes in convection oven or 45-50 in regular oven.