AYAM LEMAK - CHICKEN IN RICH COCONUT MILK - MALAYSIA
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, skinned and deboned
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1/2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks sereh*(lemon grass), minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground laos also known as galangal*
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 3 pandan leaves 1 tablespoon pandan juice*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste. Rub chicken breasts with turmeric paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok and gently fry the onions, garlic, lemon grass and laos for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Add the chicken breasts and fry 5 minutes, stirring frequently, so chicken is coated with the spices. Add the coconut milk, pandan leaves or pandan juice and salt. Stir constantly until the coconut milk comes to a boil, then cover the skillet and simmer until chicken is tender. Serve with hot Basmati rice.
NotesHow fondly do we remember eating Ayam Lemak for breakfast while we visited Malaysia.
* These items can be purchased at your local Oriental market such as 99 Ranch Market and on the Internet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More